According to the California Department of Public Health, the Project Monitor (PM) certificate is intended for those who plan to oversee lead-related construction work to ensure that specifications are followed. This includes:
- Working with consultants, industrial hygienists, journeymen, engineers and housing specialists to develop the project specifications.
- Conducting air monitoring to assess exposure levels and dust wipe sampling to ensure adequacy of containment.
- Performing clearance testing at the end of the project to see if any lead contamination remains
- Ensuring work activities for compliance with Federal, State and local regulatory requirements
- may prepare lead abatement plans
- may perform clearance inspections
- may not conduct lead abatement activities
- may not manage individuals performing lead abatement activities
- may not conduct lead hazard evaluations except for clearances