Duration: 8 hours
Available Languages: English & Spanish
This course is tailored for workers, such as general laborers and equipment operators, who are engaged in hazardous substance removal or other activities that expose or potentially expose them to hazardous substances and health hazards. It’s designed for those who have previously completed the General Site Worker (HAZWOPER) certification and need to maintain their credentials.
NATEC’s HAZWOPER Refresher course provides an in-depth review and update on the essential health and safety practices related to hazardous waste operations. This training ensures compliance with OSHA’s HAZWOPER Standard 29 CFR 1910.120(e)(8) and 8 CCR 5192(e)(8), reinforcing the knowledge and skills workers need to safely navigate hazardous environments.
Key topics covered in this comprehensive refresher include:
- Hazard Recognition: Identifying chemical, physical, safety, and biological hazards in the workplace.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Proper selection and utilization to ensure maximum safety.
- Air Monitoring: Techniques and tools for effective air quality assessment.
- Safe Work Practices: Implementing procedures to minimize risks from identified hazards.
- Medical Surveillance: Understanding the requirements and procedures to monitor workers’ health in relation to hazardous exposures.
OSHA’s intent is that employees should complete their refresher training within twelve months of their initial training. The employer must have a “statement of training” or “statement of competency” for annual refresher training or competency for all employees trained in emergency response. This training suffices as document of competency.
The course combines lectures, group activities, exercises, and a written exam to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the topics. By the end of this training, participants will be re-equipped with the knowledge and best practices to ensure safety during hazardous materials incidents, ensuring compliance with regulatory standards.